Horses and Dressage

This site is a place for me to talk about horses, dressage and equine products.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Farm managers really should know better

I am lucky enough to board my horse at an old but well appointed horse facility. Again, it is old and things are falling down, but there are pastures, indoor arena, large out door arena, small hills to run up and down, and nice block stalls with openins to the outside with overhangs and an interior asile.

I am also one of two boarders there and there are probably about 30 horses on the farm. The farm manager has a few but the farm owner has the largest amount. The farm owner lives else where and comes and visits from time to time.

Now my complaint and/or observation. The barn manager has a very nice family and they have been around horses all their lives. However that does not mean one knows how to act around horses or they really know what they are doing. I watched yesterday as the barn manager and his kids rode horses through the barn. First, the center asile ceiling is only about 9 to 10 feet high. They were on short horses (14 hands) but if one decided to stand up or be ugly then they were destined to crash their heads into the ceiling. Not to mention that one of the horses decided to go back to her stall and take her rider with her. After the small panic attack of watching this, I then got the joy of watching the son trying to get on a horse. Again this horse couldn't be over 14.1 hands, but he starts from the ground with no contact with the reins, and sticks a foot in the stirrup and swings from it for a while until he gets some strength to get up into the saddle.

There are other little things like the 10 year son turning out a very nasty stallion. This horse has been known to grab a grown adult by the shoulder and then throwing them across the barn.

I guess this rant is really just a little frustration about how careless people are around these animals. I have been around them all my life and know I get a little lazy, but you can so easy get hurt that it is a good thing to remember and respect them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home