Horses and Dressage

This site is a place for me to talk about horses, dressage and equine products.

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Riding in the snow

This morning as I headed out to drive to the barn it was snowing big fat wet flakes. It's too warm on the ground for it to stick (it was close to 80 degrees on Sunday) but it was beautiful. I got to the barn not sure if I was going to ride or not and then talked myself into it.

Dublin and I headed out to the arena, the snow was really coming down and it brought with it a hush over the farm. All the other horses on the farm were tucked into nice warm stalls and enjoying their morning breakfast.

Once in the covered arena Dublin and I just walked for a long time so we could enjoy the site of the snow falling just outside of the eves. It was as if there was a large white curtain surrounding the arena and closing us off from the rest of the world. Dublin seemed to notice the separation as well, while he was a little nervous, his breathing was deep and relaxed.

Moments like this remind me how lucky I am to be in this sport. I get to go and ride a very wonderful animal with a beautiful spirit. Being together I get to turn my brain off from everything else. It seems at times that all I can hear is his breathing and then mine. I really get to stop and slow down and enjoy myself. Wow, what a beautiful day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home