Horses and Dressage

This site is a place for me to talk about horses, dressage and equine products.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Sore backs in horses

I have mentioned in earlier posts that Dublin's back has become sore. I am not sure how or when, but he is hurting pretty badly. Most mornings I get one he feels like he is all bowed up and ready to buck me into next week. But after walking a bit I feel it come down and even relax. However in the last week it is taking longer and longer to get him warmed up and the back to relax. So he is now on a mini vacation while we wait for the muscle relaxers to arrive.

However, I have started a little treatment that my vet told me she learned from an old horse racing sports medicine vet (long title but you get the picture). You put Beagle Oil directly on their backs and then put a damp warm/hot towel over the spot. This causes the Beagle oil to penetrate into their back and ease up some of the tension in the muscles.

I tried it for the first time this morning. Dublin was not thrilled with the oil being poured directly on his back (it was a little cold at first). I then messaged the oil into his hair directly on the sore spots and then placed the towel over his back. He had this look on his face like he was trying to decide if he liked it or not. But then gave into it after 30 seconds. I walked him to his stall for his breakfast and while he ate his grain the towel stayed on his back.

The wet towel does get cool quickly. I will now work the next few days to see how to keep it warm longer. I will probably get one hot and then add a couple on top to keep in the heat.

More later

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home