Horses and Dressage

This site is a place for me to talk about horses, dressage and equine products.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Help, I can't get out of bed!

We had the most beautiful spring day yesterday. The weather was in the mid 70's and sunny. Today, not so good, cloudy and cooler. And when the alarm went off at 6:15am to wake me from my night's sleep to get ready and head to the barn, I wanted to shoot it with my husband's 12 gauge shotgun (had it been in reach). Before I had even opened my eyes I knew it was a cloudy day and I was just too tired to do anything productive.

I sat there for some time convincing myself to get up and go. What helps me most mornings is knowing I have a riding buddy waiting for me. It is a good thing that I do, otherwise I would never have made it out of bed.

I drove the 10 miles to the barn the whole time barely driving the speed limit. I just was too tired to push the gas peddle down that far. I get to the barn and pretty much fall out of the truck. I shuffle around to the back and pull out my saddle and the daily carrots for himself. I look down the aisle of the barn to find my ridding buddy shuffling around with the exact same look "why did I get up today?". We ever so slowly tack up the boys and head out to our out door arena. It hasn't been three strides from the mounting block that we discover the two boys feel as we do. Orion stumbles and then Dublin stumbles. Great, they aren't awake either!!!

We warm up and discover it isn't getting any better. So a few exercises are completed and we call it a day. We all stumble back to the barn, but have one eye opening moment when we pass the son of our barn manager, whom is putting mail into the mail box. For some reason the sound of the box being closed caused steady Eddie, Orion, to shy which caused Dublin to do his famous drop the shoulder, sit and spin move. Let me just tell you it requires Velcro to stay in the saddle for that move. The only thing that saved me was the fence he spun into. However the sudden stop of the spin had me crashing into his neck. But I stayed on!!!

We made it back to the barn in one piece but had several more stumbles along the way. The boys were cleaned up and put out in the pasture for the day. Dublin had the look on his face that said, "gee that flake of hay in the middle of the pasture is just too far away for me to care".

My day hasn't gotten much better after leaving the barn. I got home to find that my husband had turned off the alarm and was still soundly asleep. Oh that pissed me off, how I wanted to be snuggled into the bed with the cat on one side, him on the other and the dog on the floor. After kicking him out of bed and getting myself to work, I have managed to stumble, crash and almost fallen around the office. I have asked my boss for a very large piece of bubble wrap. Hoping that if I wrap myself in it I will not likely break or seriously hurt myself.

I have given myself the day off from early morning rides tomorrow. However that is a guarantee that it will be 75+ degrees and sunny. I can't win.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home