Horses and Dressage

This site is a place for me to talk about horses, dressage and equine products.

Friday, April 28, 2006

New Farm

So I wrote in my last posting that my husband and I are closing on 20 acres of land. I was fortunate enough as a child to grow up on a small horse farm, but I have missed living on one every day since.

It all started with my husband asking me to play hookey from work for a day. And for me to get online and find some properties to go look at just for a destination. So I found a few and one where I could easily locate on a map. Off we go. We drove around the very cute little town just down from our city and found the property. It was 20 cleared acres (with brush growing up) and two streams. The best part is that it is 2 miles from the center of the little town. All around this property are cow farms, private homes on acreage and small horse farms.

We drove into the little town and to the real estate office to ask about it. The real estate agent was shocked for some reason. But was happy to give us all the details. We took everything and thanked him and left. I thought that was the end of it... just a day out exploring. We continued on our merry way and had a wonderful day together.

That Saturday we drove back up to look at it again and see if we really did like it as much as we remembered. I told my husband all the wonderful things we could do there and how great the area was and how it was the next "it" place to be. So he turns to me and says, okay, drive us back into town. We go straight to the real estate office and made an offer. After a few days of negotiating back and forth we decided to walk away. I was crushed, and so was my husband. It wasn't that we were that far off from each other, but it was the principle of it at that point. I thought we were done and would start looking again.

That night my husband came home and asked me what I was doing the next day. I explained that I was working for my horse trainer but had some time if he needed me to do something for him. He said yes, he needed me to call a soild scientist, and surveyor, etc. I had no idea why I needed to do all that and must have had the biggest stupid look on my face. He then surprised me by saying that we went ahead and agreed to the price for the land. I was FLOORED! I couldn't stop screaming and jumping up and down with excitement. We were about to be land owners!!! And not just any land, but a beautiful potential horse farm! How cool is that?!?!?!

Now 50 days later we have done all the research and due diligence and it all checks out and we are about to close in a week on it. I have already found the perfect house plan (with small modifications) and dreamed up the perfect barn plan. However, we are going to hold off building for a couple of years (boo hiss). This summer we are going to get it cleared and plant pasture grass this fall. And thus has begun the research for the perfect mix of grasses for our area. Which is likely to be the subject of my next post.

Dressage Princess

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home